Saturday, May 25, 2013

Memorial Weekend Starts with Impromptu Date Night

It feels like we've been especially busy lately so, heading into the long weekend, we made a decision to try to have some quality family time together. Then Matthew got invited to go spend the weekend at the lakefront cabin of one of his classmates - to which Karri and I agreed (Matthew is very excited and will, no doubt, have a ball). They plan to leave this morning (Saturday), so we had tentatively planned for a family dinner on Friday night... until Victoria, who had spent the afternoon at a friend's house, got invited to stay for a cookout with a few of her other friends' families. Shortly thereafter, Thomas called to see if he could have dinner at a friend's house and hang out with his buddies before his 7:30pm basketball practice. Then Matthew got invited to go to the pool with a few of his classmates... You get the idea.

All this to say that Karri and I ended up having a nice (though brief), impromptu Date Night dinner at home. She had planned a delicious meal for the family of steaks, baked potatoes and salad - good, simple, delicious, and something we don't do very often. I mixed up a couple martinis, we dimmed the lights and lit a few candles... great stuff.
Table for 5... 4... 3... 2!
Of course our solitude didn't last long. Matthew called mid-meal to ask for a ride home. Shortly after I brought him home and we had quickly finished our dinner, Victoria called for a ride. While Karri went to pick her up and I cleaned up the kitchen, Thomas arrived home from practice. Karri stayed to have a glass of wine with our friends and the boys and I were in bed by 10:30. Karri and Victoria were home minutes later.

The modern 'Family Night' I suppose.

We send Matthew off in an hour. Karri and Victoria are making a batch of cookies for them to take. I'm intent on getting some yard work done today before the forecast rains arrive this afternoon. Thomas is playing in a basketball tournament this weekend and has 2 games tonight. No rest for the weary. Regardless, we are looking forward to a fun, long weekend - whether together or not!

No comments: