Saturday was beautiful (sunny and mid-80's) - and as hectic as anticipated. Matthew's lacrosse team took their lumps against a very good (and big!) Bainbridge Island team, 15-5.
 |
| Victoria passed the time at lacrosse by making mom a crown of wildflowers! |
From lacrosse it was straight to the track meet.
 |
| Victoria making the final turn in the 400 |
 |
| Happy to be done with that race! |
 |
| Matthew on his way to 5th place in the 7th grade boys 400 |
After the meet, we hustled over to
Arbor Height Swim & Tennis Club for the (end of the) Opening Day potluck. Matthew and Victoria swam for a bit while Karri and I caught up with some of our many great friends there over a couple of beers. We are excited to have the pool open. The kids love it.
Sunday morning the kids and I served Karri breakfast in bed (have photos - forbidden from posting). Afterward, Karri and I took Jack for a great walk through Lincoln Park.
 |
| Happy dog with 'mom' on Mother's Day! |
We got home just as the predicted clouds and (light) rain arrived. So Karri decided it would be fun to go see a movie together. She and the kids agreed on '42' - the Jackie Robinson movie. So we hustled downtown for the 1pm show. It's a very good movie. I hear it hasn't gotten great reviews, but we really enjoyed it. An amazing story.
We all went to church together at 5pm, then back home. Karri and the kids went to the courts down the street to play some tennis while I got dinner ready (and called
my mom to wish her a Happy Mothers Day). I have to say dinner turned out pretty well - halibut filet, asparagus and a delicious loaf of bread - all prepared on the grill. One of our favorite meals. Then fresh strawberries and angel food cake for dessert... mmm.
After dinner, we watched one of our family movies from 2001 when Thomas was 3, Matthew was 1 (turning 2), and Karri was pregnant with Victoria. We were all laughing hysterically at the antics of Thomas & Matthew and their fascination with superheroes, construction equipment, sports, etc. Good stuff. And a great way to cap off Mothers Day Weekend.
I can't end without recognizing my own mother on Mother's Day!
 |
| The whole family (from last summer)! |
 |
| Mom with all her grandchildren and great-grandchildren at her 90th birthday last July! |
It's amazing to me how Mom kept our house running with 6 kids - all the meals she cooked, lunches she packed, laundry she washed, school & sports events she attended, etc. I'm certain it was exhausting and stressful, but she never let it show (at least not to me). Mom is kind-hearted and selfless. We like to kid her about some of her most endearing qualities... saying "sure - we'll make a salad" when a last-minute dinner guest showed up at the door, staying up half the night waiting for one of the kids to get home, or getting weepy sending each of us off to college (or later to new homes out-of-state).
Thanks for all you did (and do) Mom. I love you very much! Happy Mothers Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment