Monday, May 20, 2013

Budding Photographer

Thomas got word today that he was selected to be a member of the Seattle Prep yearbook staff as a photographer. Quite a few kids applied and he was one of a handful of freshman who were selected.

He had applied for a general 'staff' position, but was selected as a photographer instead. At Karri and my urging, he included some of his photos as part of his application. The yearbook moderator (one of Thomas' teachers) told him that the photos were a big factor in their decision.

He's very excited and we are very proud!

I think his photos are awesome - he's got a great eye. I've included a few of them below. The moderator had asked him for an explanation/description of each, so I've including those too.

"...extended exposure of one of my siblings waving a sparkler at my grandparents' ranch in San Diego on this past Fourth of July."
"...at the Dale Chihuly glass museum downtown with the Space Needle in the background."
"...also at the Chihuly museum. The lighting in the room was perfect. Really makes the colors of the glass stand out."
"...a photo I took for my photo journalism class. This is one of my favorites; I love how its like picture-ception. Taking a picture of taking a picture. I also like the focus in the photo. My friend's hand and his phone are incredibly focused, while the background is blurred, so the clearer view of our feet is through the iPhone."
"... a trip to Mexico; we ate dinner on the beach one night and this swing looked really cool and the sunset in the background created a really cool shadow. I love the contrast between the bright sun and the dark swing; it really makes the sun stand out."
"... also on a trip to Mexico. My grandparents condo has one-way glass windows on one side of it; you are looking at Los Arcos ("the arches") - a popular tourist attraction in Puerto Vallarta. I really love this picture because it's so clear it looks like its really being taken through the window not reflected off of it. The blue sky really stands out too. Plus I just think Los Arcos are really cool!
Congratulations, T!

(Fortunately Thomas doesn't read my blog. I'm sure he'd give me grief for bragging about my kids... no doubt, well-deserved.)

No comments: