Thursday, August 20, 2020

Song Spot

My college buddy Norm has a theory that you get a song stuck in your head for an extended period of time. You can have one - and only one - song in your 'song spot' at any point in time. The tune and/or lyrics play over-and-over until displaced by another song. 

I'm frequently reminded of this theory when hiking, running or biking. 

A good song in your 'song spot' can inspire you to power through a tough stretch or get your mind focused on memories of a different time, place, important person in your life, etc. 

A few years ago, I ran a couple half marathons. Every song I added to my race-day playlist was carefully selected to remind me of special people or great memories that would take my mind off the fact that I was struggling through a 13.1 mile run.

It works the same for hiking. Great scenery can help, but a good song in your 'song spot' can inspire you to hike or climb higher/faster/longer than you might while instead focusing on each-and-every step. A great song-spot song gets your adrenaline going and gives you extra energy. 

If a particular song enjoys an extended stay in my 'song spot' during our Southern Utah adventure, I'll try to mention it at the end of my post.


No comments: