Saturday, March 30, 2013

Greetings from Jamul, CA

We arrived in sunny San Diego Friday afternoon. Donna picked us up and drove us back to the ranch. It's always beautiful here, but especially so in Spring time after they've had some rain. The fields are green and the flowers are blossoming. It's really spectacular.

We had a relaxing afternoon, watched a couple of the Sweet 16 games, then enjoyed a delicious swordfish dinner that Donna had prepared. After dinner, we watched more basketball, then Matthew, Victoria and I went for an evening swim. We were all tired and in bed by 10:15.

Here's the view we woke to this morning...
The 'back 40'. Backdrop to Karri and my wedding reception (19 years ago).
Swollen orange tree means fresh-squeezed orange juice for breakfast!
Bill (Pop-Pop) had arranged for Jessica - a woman who helps tend to Donna & Bill's horses - to come to the ranch this morning to give each of the kids a riding lesson. Jessica is wonderful - patient, with a calm, nurturing disposition. Victoria really enjoys taking lessons from her and so was up and ready to go while the boys were still rolling out of bed.

Victoria's riding Bo under Jessica's watchful eye

Teaching Bo who is boss
Donna (Mimi) and Mr. Fluff watching Victoria ride
Karri decided to give (old, reliable) Chuck some TLC...
You can take the girl out of the ranch...
Thomas running Bo through the paces
 Bo was having problems from a recent leg injury, so Matthew got to ride Chuck...
Matthew on Chuck

Nudging Ol' Chuck into a trot
After riding, Matthew and Victoria were ready for a swim.
"I promise I won't flip you Victoria"
 Karri and I joined them for a bit - so refreshing. Thomas decided to relax in the sun.

Future's so bright...
We're having a relaxing afternoon. Thomas wanted to put his learner's permit to the test of California driving, so he and Karri are out running a few errands while Matthew and Victoria help Mimi make cookies and climb the rock formation in the back yard. We'll probably catch some more March Madness and enjoy happy hour. Mimi has a lamb dinner planned for tonight that I'm sure will be delicious.

Tomorrow, Easter Sunday, we are planning to go to mass at Mission de Alcala of San Diego - the church where Karri and I were married. We've never taken the kids there. I'm excited to see it.

No comments: