Friday, November 9, 2012

Walk... Overdue

I've been especially busy with work recently and, as a result, have fallen out of the habit of getting out for a walk each (errr... most) day(s).  Karri seized upon my guilt and got me out for a late-afternoon walk today.  As always, I'm glad that she did.

It has been decidedly colder here this week and today was no exception.  It was a clear, crisp day - only reached the mid-forties, despite the sunshine.  Thanks to daylight savings, we missed the sun, but did enjoy a bright, clear sky and the glow of the sun setting over the Olympic Peninsula.  The tide was out and the wind was blowing, making for a small surf (which I noticed mostly because Jack gets freaked out by the sound of waves on the shore).

Lincoln Park beach at low tide.

Vashon Ferry about to set sail
It was another quiet Friday night - perhaps something we should get used to.  All 3 kids were with friends.  We had to do a little shuttling around - pick Thomas up from a friend's house and get him to his evening babysitting gig, then pick Victoria up from a friend's house - but otherwise had some quiet time together at home.  We had a late and delicious steak dinner.  Now Karri and Victoria are in bed and I am waiting up for Thomas to get home (Matthew is sleeping over at a buddy's house).  It's been a long week and I'll be asleep moments after T arrives.

On a sad note, I got word last night that a long-time family friend, Bill Knapp, (aka 'Uncle Bill') passed away Thursday.  He and my dad were roommates during navy training in 1942 and remained friends ever since.  Uncle Bill was a funny guy - always cracking jokes, telling stories, and making people laugh.  He was an eye doctor and I have vivid memories of making our annual trip to his office in Aurora, Ohio for eye exams. He and 'Aunt Jane' were welcome regulars at Lange family events. Uncle Bill was a wonderful person and will be missed.

No comments: