Tonight was Homecoming at Seattle Prep. No, that's not 'Bill Nye the Science Guy' - that's Thomas with his date, Riley.
He spent 20 minutes trying to tie that bow tie. Finally got it right with help from a step-by-step video he found on YouTube (and a minor assist from dad). Looks pretty dapper, if you ask me.
As we are learning about Prep, events like this are a great excuse for parents to get together too. Tonight, the parents of one of Thomas' football buddies offered to host a dinner for several of the kids before the dance, and invited the parents to come too. It was a great time.
I don't want to be a 'helicopter parent' and I have to say I was a little concerned about intruding on the kids tonight. But I think it was fun for all - adults and kids too. Once everyone arrived, there was a paparazzi-like photo session in the back yard. Then the kids sat down to what looked like an amazing dinner (that several parents helped prepare and serve) while the adults mingled in the kitchen and outside. After dinner, a few parents volunteered to take the kids over to the dance while most of rest of the parents stayed around to socialize.
I've been impressed by Thomas' expanding circle of high school friends. They seem like good kids - friendly, outgoing, intelligent, fun.
I think back to some of my great memories from high school and am excited for Thomas as he creates his own.

No comments:
Post a Comment