Sunday, October 21, 2012

Date Night

Karri and I got a rare treat Saturday night.  Victoria had an evening birthday party to go to (and rides to- and from) and the boys were home - planning to watch a movie.  So at 5:30 we decided we'd try to use a couple gift cards we'd received for Purple - a hip downtown wine bar and restaurant.

I called at 5:45 to see about getting a table.  Earliest table for 2 was at 10:15pm.  "Do you have bar seating?"  "Yes, you are welcome to come try your luck."  So off we went.  As I parked the car, Karri went in to try to snag a couple seats at the bar.  By the time I got there (just a couple minutes later), the hostess was seating her at a nice table for two.  Karri had asked if they had any cancellations and, as fate would have it, the hostess had just gotten off the phone with someone cancelling their reservation. Destiny.  Good thing too.  It was packed (theater and symphony crowd) and we would have had a long wait for a couple seats at the bar.

We had a delicious meal.  We shared a curried lamb empanada and split a goat cheese and roasted pepper salad.  Karri had risotto off the special sheet and I had a delicious piece of halibut.  All this accompanied by a great bottle of wine that the sommelier recommended - an Oregon Pinot Noir (Montinore 2010 Estate Reserve).  Neither of us is really a foodie or a wine connoisseur, but we enjoy a good meal and a nice glass of wine... and each other's company.  All made for a great evening.

No comments: